If we were planning on this being our forever home and we had some extra money just laying around I have some serious plans for our kitchen/dining/ living room that involve busting out walls and a lot of rearranging. But for now I’m just updating what is there in the current footprint.
There is a wall in the dining room that has a pass through to our kitchen, and every time I look in the dining room I just keep thinking that wall needs something. Rustic, country, and farmhouse are the words you could use to describe my style so I decided on a wood wall to go there.
At first we were going to use cheap laminate tongue and groove flooring and nail it up, but the guy at Lowes advised us against it saying that it would mushroom on us and not look good, but they carried some unfinished tongue and groove wood board in the lumber department that would work great.
We got our supplies, came up with a plan, and got to work. I decided on a simple pattern of long and short alternating to fit the wall. I wanted a rustic, yet clean look and this would keep things from getting too busy.
The cutting and nailing went pretty fast, and then it was time for some stain. I chose special walnut and weathered oak from Minwax and was pretty set until I tried some test boards. The color was not pretty and the smell was way too strong to have in the house with Elijah.
In hindsight, I probably should have sanded and stained the boards before we nailed them up, and the color probably would have worked and my fume issue would have been gone. But oh well.
After some brainstorming I came up with the idea to do a wash with chalk paint and then use the antique stain over the top. This was more like it.
So off to it I went. (Sort of – it took a few days and a few tries to get it all done with a crawling baby around) I mixed my chalk paint – in Motoring Coat by Valspar (cheaper and more accessible than Annie Sloan, and I think it works just as good) – half and half with water and used rags to wipe it onto the wood and then immediately wiped off the excess.
Next step was to apply the wax. For this I brushed it on with a round brush and then again wiped off excess with a rag.
The final step was to touch up the walls and wah la- wall is done!